History, topography and directory of the County Palatine of Durham by Whelan & Co 1856

Welcome to the page that brings you a reproduction of History, topography and directory of the County Palatine of Durham by Whelan & Co 1856 for those who want more detail


Gateshead is a parish and a corporate and parliamentary borough, about 14 miles north of the city of Durham, and 272 miles north-west of London. The parish contains an area of 3,255 acres ; and its population in 1801 was 8,597 ; in 1811, 8,782; in 1821, 11,767; in 1831, 15,177; in 1841, it had increased to 10,505 ; and in 1351, it had attained to 25,568 souls. The extensive and elevated tract of ground called Gateshead Fell, was formerly part of the parish of Gateshead, under which all the returns are included, but although it was made a distinct parish and rectory in 1808, it was provided by the act of parliament which made the division, " that nothing in this act contained shall altor or affect the manor of Gateshead, or the division of the said parish into townships, or separate districts, for the maintenance of the poor, or for any civil purpose whaterer, but that the said manor and. parish of Gateshead shall, as to those purposes, remain in all respects the same as if this act had not passed." Here are the celebrated " Newcastle Grindstone'' quarries, and several collieries.

The Town of Gateshead is situated on the south bank of the Tyne, with which it is connected by means of the Tyne Bridge, and the beautiful and unique High Level Bridge. Gateshead is more formidable in respect to steepness than its opposite neighbour, Newcastle. The ascent from the river's bank is no less than 500 feet in two miles, and some of the streets leading from the old railway station to the bridge, are such as horses and drivers regard with an anxious eye. From this station, or from any contiguous spot, the view over the two towns is very striking; the river, the shipping, the coal-keels, the factories, the glass-works, the pottery-works, the lofty chimneys, the steeples, the new railway bridge — that grandest of features in the town—all combine to form a scene of great activity and interest. Gateshead consists of only one good and wide street on the high road to the north. The several narrow streets and lanes which compose the remainder, branch off on each side of the principal or High-street. Bottle-bank is a street descending precipitately from the High-street towards the bridge, but since the formation of Church-street, which passes down the side of the hill in a curved course. carriages avoid this steep descent. Although many of the old houses have been re-built or modernised, and several streets formed since the commencement of tho present century, there is little appearance of wealth, or of houses belonging to the richer class. The town is densely peopled with families of artisians and pitmen, whilst the master manufacturers, and proprietors of coal pits within the borough, reside in Newcastle, or in the vicinity of the High and Low Fell, which are hamlets in the southern and rural districts of the parish. Many of the close alleys and fever-dens of Gateshead have been swept away by the late fire and explosion, and it is to be .hoped that their sites will be occupied by spacious thoroughfares and improved dwelings.

The derivation of the name Gateshead, has long been a matter of doubt and dispute with antiquaries. Camden and others supposed that the Gabrosentum of the Notitia was here ; and Stukely, after finding the place called Ad Caprre Càput by Bede, and seeing a goat's head used as a sign, found that Gabrosentum in British signified Goat's head. Simeon of Durham, speaking of the murder of Bishop Walcher, says it happened at Ad Caprre Càput, which he also terms Gateshead. Some think that because a branch of the Watling Street ended here, it was called Gates-head, or End ; gate in ancient as in modern times, signifying a street or road.

From the proximity of this town to Newcastle, its history is closely interwoven with the annals of that place, hence the most remarkable events which have transpired here, will be found in the historical notice of that town. With regard to the foundation of Gateshead we possess no authentic information. and to enter into the various conjectures which have been formed by antiquaries, is foreign to our purpose. That it was a town prior to the year 1104, we have ample evidence in the charter granted by Bishop Pudsey to the inhabitants of Gateshead, in which, under certain restrictions, they are allowed the liberty of his forest there. By the same charter the bishop granted to the inhabitants, equal privileges to those enjoyed by the people of Newcastle ; and he also granted them free passage with their goods through his county palatine, clear of all dues and exactions,

The most material circumstance for which we find Gateshead noted in ancient history, is touching the catastrophe related of Bishop Walcher, when, on the 14th May, 1080, the church was reduced to ashes. The earldom of Northumberland had been given, after the condemnation of Waltheof, to Walcher, a native of Lorraine, who had been lately raised to the see of Durham. The bishop was of a mild and easy disposition, his humanity revolted from the idea of oppressing the inhabitants himself, but his indolence prevented him from seeing or restraining the oppressions of his officers. Liulf, a noble Englishman, had ventured to accuse them before the prelate, and in the course of a few days he was slain. Walcher, to allay the ferment, declared his innocence of the homicide, compelled the murderers to offer the legal compensation, and engaged to act as mediator between them and the relatives of Liulf. Both parties met by agreement at Gateshead, but the bishop, perceiving indications of violence amongst the natives, retired into the church, which was immediately set on fire by the infuriated people. He compelled the murderers to go out, but they were immediately slain. At length, unable to bear the violence of the flames, he wrapped his mantle round his head, and appeared at the door. A voice immediately exclaimed, "Good rede, short rede, slay ye the bishop!" and he fell pierced with a number of wounds. His death was not sufficient to appease their revenge, for they mangled and insulted his body, which was found naked on the spot by the monks of Jarrow, who conveyed it by water, first to their own monastery, and subsequently to Durham, where it was privately buried in the cathedral.

In the reign of Edward VI. Gateshead was separated from the possessions of the Bishop of Durham, and annexed to Newcastle, but was subsequently restored to its original proprietor. Bishop Skirlaw, in 1553, granted to the corporation of Newcastle a tract of land lying to the east of Gateshead, and known by the name of the " Salt Meadows," and in a short time afterwards, Bishop Barnes let to Queen Elizabeth, for a term of ninety-nine years, the manors of Gateshead and Whickham, which lease was subsequently transferred to the corporation of Newcastle. On its reversion to the see of Durham in 1710, the park and manor of Gateshead were granted on an annual rent of  £235. 11s. 4d. to W. Coatsworth, Esq., from whom the lease has descended to Cuthbert Ellison, Esq., of Hebburn Hall, the present proprietor. The freehold property denominated the " Borough Lands,'' which are vested in the " borough-holders" and freemen, cannot be traced to its original possessors. We find, that in 1557, the burgesses were in possession of Windmill Hill, Longflatt, and Stoneflatt, and that shortly afterwards they litigated their common right in Redheugh and Harelaw, with the Whites of Redheugh. There is a decree of Queen Elizabeth, which recognises the right of pasture in the "Town Fields," and we find cows pastured there in 1007. By an act of parliament obtained in 1814, power was granted to enclose and divide certain portions of borough-lands, or town-fields. The quantity divided according to the proportion of borough tenure and common right, amounted to 157 acres. A certain portion of the land was reserved under the authority of the act ; it contained about ten acres, and, with the buildings upon it, constituted the property of the borough-holders and freemen, whose number at present is very limited.

In December 1831, the cholera commenced its ravages in Newcastle and Gateshead, from which time, up to March 1832, it had carried away 514 persons. The two towns were again visited by this dreadful scourge in 1849, and in 1853 they experienced a third visitation, when 1,920 person became its victims.

A dreadful fire took place at Gateshead on the morning of the 6th October. 1854. It broke out on the premises of a worsted factory in the vicinity of Hillgate, and the flames soon spread to the neighbouring buildings, in which great quantities of sulphur, lead, and tallow had been stored. Large numbers of persons were everywhere engaged in endeavouring to arrest the progress of the destructive element, and as the flames reached the bonded warehouses their activity and anxiety were redoubled. A detachment of military, fifty strong. hastened down with their barrack engine to assist those already at work, and other aid was telegraphed for. A slight concussion warned the gathering crowd that there was something more perilous than sulphur in the burning pile ; but it was naturally supposed that with the shock the danger had ceased. A few minutes later the misinterpreted warning received a terrible fulfilment. The air was rent as with the voice of many thunders, and filled as if with the spume of a volcano. Massive walls were crumbled into heaps blocks of houses tumbled into ruins, windows shattered from their frames far and near, and a shower of burning timbers and crashing stones rained terror. death, and fresh destruction on every side. Of the fifty soldiers advancing with their engine, thirty were struck down—two of them dead, and one with an iron rail driven into his body. Firemen and helping citizens were crushed where they stood. Some, looking on in helpless amazement, were, in a moment, stricken beyond consciousness. Some perished under their own roofs, while others fell beneath the descending fragments. The wreck, &c.. in Gateshead, may be described in the following manner:—First, at the east end of Hlillgate, and forming the limit of the eruption, was the well-known vinegar manufactory of Messrs. Singers, which was totally demolished ; while proceeding from this point up the quay, a range of houses, followed by the exploded bond warehouses, Messrs. Carr's timber yard, Messrs. Wilsons worsted manufactory, and lastly, the engine manufactory of Mr. Bulcraig, this latter place forming the western limit. Running parallel with these premises, but on the opposite side of Hillgate, commencing with the shop of Mr. Lumsden, grocer, was a large cluster of houses, while the large flour mill of Mr. Davison was closely contiguous. These from their proximity to the worsted mill and bonded warehouses, received the full force of the concussion, and were totally destroyed. The houses in Church-walk were also entirely demolished. A short way beyond Buleraig's engine works another disastrous scene presented itself. The property at this place formed the left side of Bridge street, from Tyne Bridge up to Hillgate, and, as the back of these premises consisted of numerous factories, nothing could describe their bulged and tottering condition more forcibly than comparing them to having been subjected to some heavy cannonade, while the valuable commodities within them were laid waste by the same ruinous process. The whole of Cannon street, on the south side of St. Mary's Churchyard, was from end to end a mass of ruins. The ruins on Newcastle Quay extended from the Sand Hill to the Custom house, and reached almost as far back as Butcher-bank. In the foreground, there was, as at Gateshead, little to meet the eye but a mass of blackened rubbish, but, further back, portions of houses were left standing in all manner of attitudes. Here a gable stood alone—there a house was cut into a section, and presented to the spectator all the domestic arrangements which the unfortunate inmates had made before the catastrophe overtook them. In some parts one end of a house had fallen, leaving the roof half supported by that which still stood, while others were all but utterly demolished. The number of killed and wounded amounted to upwards of 270 persons, of whom twenty-five were killed in Gateshead, on the spot, and five in Newcastle—three died subsequently in Gateshead, and ten in the Newcastle Infirmary—the remainder were all more or less injured. The value of the property destroyed was more than £1,000,000.

The Parish Church, dedicated to St. Maгу, is so old that the date of its erection is entirely unknown, but we find it mentioned as early as the year 1291, at which period the living was worth £13 Os. 8d. per annum. It is a cruciform structure, and from the shape and hewn work of the stones, appears to have, been constructed from the ruins of some Roman edifice. Within the last century this venerable structure has undergone extensive alterations and repairs, the tower and a portion of the nаvе have been rebuilt, the spires taken down, and the roof altered. The church possesses accommodation for upwards of 1,000 persons. There were formerly at least four chantries in this church. St. Mary's Chantry, in the north porch, was founded by Allan Prestre, in 1330, " to find a priest for the maintenance of God's service, and to pray for his soul, and for all Christian souls." Its yearly value at the time of the dissolution was £3 15s. 4d. St. John's Chantry was founded by John Dolphauby before the year 1442. Trinity Chantry, founded by Alan Prestre, had a yearly revenue of £4 12s. 2d. St. Loy's Chantry was founded by John Dolphanby in 1121 ; and its revenues at the dissolution amounted to £6 12s. 8d. The parish register commences in 1559. The living is a rectory, rated at £27 13s. 4d. ; gross income, £750. Patron, the Bishop of Durham. Such was the state of this ancient edifice ; but it suffered considerably from the effects of the explosion, which took place in its neighbourhood, on the 6th October, 1854. Not a window was left in the church, and the whole structure was so seriously injured, that at one period it was contemplated to abandon it, and construct a new church on a more convenient site. After due consideration and a public meeting, the sacred associations which belonged to the old edifice so far influenced the parishioners, that it was resolved to restore it to its pristine condition, so far as it could be accomplished, and, under the direction of John Dobson, Esq., the architect, the church has not only been thoroughly repaired and restored but several judicious alterations and improvements effected. The chancel especially, which was almost blown down, has been entirely restored, and, in doing so, the original design has been closely followed, except that the heavy and low arch which divided the transept from the church has been heightened several feet, by which a greater degree of light has been thrown into it. At the communion table is a beautiful memorial window of stained glass, by Mr. Wailes, of Newcastle. It has five lights. The centre light is occupied with a figure of our Saviour, with his words beneath—" I am the resurrection and the life." On the right arc the evangelists Matthew and Mark, and on the left Luke and John. The three large medallions in the tracery are devoted to the Baptism, the Supper, and the Resurrection. In the two smaller medallions are inserted the Royal Arms and the arms of Gateshead—the latter being accompanied by the modern motto—"Caput inter nubila condit." At the front of this window, under the principal figures, are angels bearing scrolls, inscribed — '' In the midst of life we are in death. — Of whom may we seek for succour— But of Thee, 0
Lord—Who for our sins are justly displeased." Also, a representation of the fall of the tower of Siloam, with the words—" Think ye that they were sinner; above all men in Jerusalem ? I tell ye nay, but except ye repent ye shall likewise perish." Then we have the record of the visitation, which is as follows— " This window was erected in commemoration of an awful fire and explosion, which occurred in this parish on the morning of Friday, October 6th, 1854. By this fearful calamity more than fifty persons lost their lives, a great many others were seriously injured, many houses were burnt and others completely demolished, and this church was very extensively damaged." In addition to this, it is in contemplation to place two other memorial windows in the church —one by a townsman, the other by the parents of Ensign Paynter. who perished in the discharge of his duty on the awful morning of October 6th. The estimated cost of the repairs, alterations, etc., was £1,255. Rector, Rev. John Davics, D.D. ; curates, Rev. A. L. Herbert, Rev. F. G. Holmes, and Rev. William Bennett.

Trinity Chapel. — This ancient structure, supposed to have been erected previous to 1207, is situated in High-street. After the confiscation of the property of the monastic establishments, it became the property of the ancient Northumbrian family of Riddell, whose mansion house, which stood adjacent, suffered severely from the Scots under Leslie, and being the residence of a Catholic family, was plundered and set on fire by a Protestant mob in 1746. This chapel, which seems to have fallen into disuse after the unions of the hospitals of the Holy Trinity and St. Edmund in 1248, shared the violence of the mob, and remained a ruin until the year 1836, when Cuthbert Ellison, Esq., lord of the manor, gave the ground and building, as also a site for the erection of schools, to the rector and churchwardens of Gateshead. In consequence of this gift, a public subscription was commenced, which realised a sufficient sum for the repair of the venerable edifice and the erection of the schools. The chapel was opened for worship, according to the rites of the Church of England, in 1837. The eastern window contains the armorial bearings of many of the subscribers, beautifully executed in stained glass, by Mr. Wailes, of Newcastle. The Rev. Thomas Speck is the present chaplain.(as of 1856)

Si. Edmund's Chapel, High-street, was erected by subscription in 1809. at a cost of £1,331. There was formerly but one service at this chapel on Sundays, but during the repairs of the parish church there were three service-. Rev. William Bennett, chaplain.

Bethesda Chapel.— This building, the property of the Methodist New Connexion, is situated between Brunswick-terrace and Melbourne-street. It is a fine commodious brick building, with a stone portico, and possesses sufficient accommodation for 970 persons. The basement storey serves as a school.

The Presbyterian Chapel, situated at the head of Melbourne-street, was erected in 1830, by a congregation of Independents, from whom it was transferred to the present occupants. It is a commodious edifice, with school room, &c., attached, and is seated for 640 persons. The Rev. T. K. Knox is the present minister.(as of 1856)

The Primitive Methodist Chapel, in West-street, is a small structure. possessing sittings for about eighty persons. There is also another chapel belonging to the same body in Nelson-street.

The Wesleyan Chapel, situated in High-street, is a fine commodious structure, erected in 1815, and will accommodate 670 persons. There is a vestry and suitable school-rooms adjoining the chapel. There is another Wesleyan chapel in Pipewellgàte, which will seat about 165 persons.

The Anchorage School.—This establishment is said to derive its name from the dues for anchorage in the Tyne having been originally appropriated to its support. It occupies apartments over the vestries of St. Mary's Church, and has an endowment of £12 per annum, bequeathed by Dr. Pickering, rector of Gateshead, in 1701. For this endowment the master teaches fifteen boys, at a reduced charge of one shilling a quarter, these boys being nominated by the rector of Gateshead for the time being. According to the deed of foundation, the boys are to be taught " the Latin and Greek tongues, as well as to write and cast up accounts, and the art of navigation or plain sailing." In addition to these, English grammar, geography, and mathematics, form a part of the course of instruction. The Rev. W. Bennett is the present master. (as of 1856)

• The Еllisоп Schools adjoin the Trinity Chapel, High-street, and were erected by subscription in 1838. They comprise schools for infants and boys ; the former occupying the ground-floor, and the latter the first-floor of the building. John Cranston and Martha Carr, teachers.

The National Schools are situated in Ellison-terrace, and occupy a fine stone building, which was erected in 1842, at a cost of £907, exclusive of the site. This establishment comprises separate schools for boys and girls, class-rooms, etc., which are well adapted for the purposes to which they are applied. W. Clifford and Miss Clifford, teachers.—There are several other schools, both public and private, for which see Academies and Schools in the Directory.

St. Edmund's, or King James's Hospital.—The religious institutions which flourished at Monkchester—see Newcastle—no doubt gave rise to those on the south side of the Tyne. Amongst these was the chapel or hospital of St. Edmund, king and martyr, now called King James's Hospital. Tanner informs us that one Uttan was abbot of a monastery here prior to 653, but the date of its foundation and the name of its founder are alike unknown. It appears to have been converted into an hospital some time before the dissolution of the religious houses by Henry VIII., for Leland says, " whereas the hospital of St. Edmund, of Gateshead, in Wyrale, was some time a monastery, as I have heard, and be lykolyhood the same that Bede speakythe of." Its annual value is stated in Dugdale's Monasticon, at £5 9s. 4d. ; but according to Speed, at £109 4s. 4d. Although the ancient history of St. Edmund's Hospital is involved in obscurity, it is certain that Bishop Farnham, in 1248, annexed to it the chapel and the hospital of the Holy Trinity, and amongst the numerous charters respecting this institution, carefully preserved in Gateshead vestry, is one dated 28th of April, 1485, in which this latter is styled " the chantry of the Holy Trinity in the Hospital of St. Edmund." Bishop Farnham endowed it with several estates in the neighbourhood, and gave to it a charter in which it is recited that the establishment should consist of four priests, one of whom was to be master, but was to eat at the same table, &c., as the rest of the brethren. After the dissolution this establishment became the property of the crown, by whom masters were regularly appointed, but the charters having been afterwards lost, and the revenues partly converted to purposes of private emolument, it was refounded by James I. in 1610. The new society was ordered to consist of a master, who should always be the rector of Gateshead for the time being and of three poor brethren. In 1810 an act of parliament was passed, which empowered the master and brethren to let leases of their property, in parcels net exceeding one acre, for a term of not exceeding ninety-nine years. and by the provisions of the said act the number of brethren was increased to thirteen, ten of whom are styled younger brethren. Each of the elder, or ancient brethren, receives £25 per annum, a suit of clothes, a house to live in, and an allowance for coals. The ten younger brethren must be single men. fifty-six years of age, or upwards, of good character, and not possessing more than £20 a year. They each receive £ 12 per annum, and a suit of clothes every two years. A salary of £40 per annum is paid to the chaplain, who officiates in St. Edmund's Chapel. The whole of the appointments are made by the rector of Gateshead, as master of the hospital, usually from inhabitants of Gateshead. The ancient brethren reside in houses, built about the year 1812, on lands belonging to the hospital. The revenues derived from lands and mines amounted at the time of the Charity Commissioners' report, to £525 17s. per annum.

The Gateshead Dispensary, established in 1832, is situated in West-street, and is solely supported by public subscriptions and donations. Prior to the year just mentioned, this town had provided no relief, of a medical characteг for the poor, but immediately after the visitation of the cholera at that period, this praiseworthy institution was established, and well and efficiently has it done its work. Did we need anything to prove its efficiency, we have only to allude to the facility with which the sufiferers at the late disastrous conflagration were relieved, and their wants attended to. It is in contemplation to erect a new and more suitable building as soon as the requisite funds can be obtained. The total number of persons who have received the benefit of this institution since its commencement in 1832, is upwards of 100,000. T. W. Craster, house surgeon.

The Town- Hall is situated in Half Moon-lane, near the south end of the High Level Bridge. It contains à spacious Council Chamber, Police Court, and the various corporate offices, as also the County Court for the Gateshead District.

The Mechanics' Institution.—This institution, situated in West-street, was first established in 1837, and in 1846 a public subscription was commenced for a new building, which was completed and opened in 1848, at a cost of £1,372. The expense of the site for this building was contributed by Cuthbert Ellison, Esq. The establishment contains, on the first-floor, a spacious hall, in which lectures are occasionally delivered, and on the ground floor is the library, with a residence for the librarian. The library contains about 3,200 volumes, besides the various metropolitan and local newspapers, periodicals, &c. Richard Cooke, librarian. There is also a Literary Institution in West-street.

Gatcshead Post Office is situated in Tyne-lane, and was first established in 1771. A statement of the arrival and departure of the several mails will be found prefixed to the Directory.

The York, Newcastle, and Berwick Railway Station, Half Moon-lane, was erected in 1844, as a station for the Darlington Junction Railway. and was formerly used for the Brandling Junction Railway. Richard Alison. Stationmaster.

Gateshead Baths and Laundries occupy a handsome building, in the Elizabethan style, situated in Oakwellgate, and were opened for the use of the public on February 7th, 1855. They comprise warm, vapour, and shower baths, washing departments, &c., and are under the superintendence of a committee of the town council. William Chipchase, superintendent,

The Gateshead Poor Law Union comprehends twelve parishes and townships, including an area of 25,493 acres, and a population in 1851, 8,081 souls. The parishes and townships are Chopwell, Crawcrook, Felling, Gateshead with Gateshead Fell, Heworth, Lowside, Stella, Swalwell, Blaydon, Ryton Woodside, Whickham, Winlaton. The board of guardians meets quarterly at the Workhouse, and every alternate Tuesday at the Register Office, West-street, at two o'clock p.m. Cornelius Garbutt, chairman ; J. W. Swinburne, clerk. The Union Workhouse is situated in ???ion-lane. Arthur Main, master ; Eliza Main, matron ; R. H. Wilson, surgeon ; and — Struthers, teacher.

Manujactures and Trade. — Gateshead is progressively and rapidly inreasing in importance as a manufacturing district. There are extensive manufactories of chain-cables, with numerous brass and iron foundries, and glass-houses, several of which are very extensive. There are also other manufactories of different kinds. Upwands of 500 persons are engaged in the manufacture of glass bottles alone. There are extensive collieries within the borough, and on Gateshead Fell are situated the great Grindstone quarries, whence Newcastle is said to have derived all its commercial faim for Newcastle grindstones," which are exported to every part of the globe. The late terrific explosion having destroyed a great amount of property in the vicinity the Tyne, it is purposed by the corporation to purchase the several buildings extending along the river, from the High Level Bridge in Pipewellgate, on the west, to the North Eastern Railway Drops, in Hillgate, on the east, and on their site to form quays or wharfs, with the requisite buildings, &c.

Government and Franchise.—From the earliest period of its records till the :ar 16'J5, Gateshead was governed by a bailiff appointed by the Bishop of urham. Since that year and previous to the passing of the new municipal t, it was governed by two stewards, chosen by the borough-holders and tree en, but they exercised no jurisdiction or municipal authority over the borough id received no tolls or clues of any kind within it. There is no charter in ùstence, but a belief exists that the borough was once incorporated, and some int traces of corporate titles, offices, and customs ; a common seal, and conderable borough property descending in perpetuity. The ancient deeds nnd ipers deposited in a chest kept by the stewards, were surreptitiously removed 'any years ago, but one of the remaining documents, bearing the date 16'JO, mtains allusions to the "town and borough of Gateshead,'' und to a grant lade by Queen Elizabeth, " of Bensham and Harps-Head to the town aud orough of Gatesliead." Bishops C'osin and Tunstal, aud Oliver Cromwell, icorporated a number of trading companies here, but they have almost all ecome extinct. By the Municipal Corporations Act, the borough was divided ato three wards, called respectively East, West, and South Wards, and inorporated under the style of " The Borough-holders and Freemen of the «rough of Gateshead." Six aldermen and eighteen councillors were appointed or its government, and a commission of the peace was also »ranted to it. The »orough of Gateshead consists of the "parish of Gateshead, and part of the ;»apelry of Heworth in the parish of Jarrow, containing in 180!, 7('>.'? inlmbiants. This borough was also enfranchised by the Reform Act, nnd now returns >«e member to the imperial parliament. The boundaries of the municipal llul parliamentary boroughs are coincident. William Hutt, Esq., is the ir''wiit member. Gateshead is included in the Newcastle County Court Circuit. The days upon which the court are held will be found in our notice w that place at a subsequent page.


As abtlracfetl from the Parliamentary Reports, with the dale of rack bfqit^st,and the name o/ the donor.
Date. Donors and nature of gifts. To wbat purposes applied. Annnal rain?
1^45. Nicholas Fnrnham (rent) King James's Hospital... ..£525 17 0
1034. Anthony Hebson (rent charge) poor 1 О Г>
1627. Henry Smith poor, in clothing IB IS 0
1048. Andrew AU worth (rent charge) poor 100
1060. James Cole (rent charge) poor 1 0 и
1072. Elizabeth Collinson (vent) poor widows & inhabitants 12 10 <'1070. Matthew Bates (rent charge) poor 1 0 i'
Ifir:). Sir W. Blackett (rent charge) poor 2 0 и
KiMT. Harrison unit others (interest) poor 13 10 n
108!). John Bowman (rent) poor 5 0 «
1096. Thomas Bawling (rent) poor 18 О о
1700-1. T. Pickering (interest) .'. Anchorage School 12 О О
1/03. Jane Sutton (rent charge) poor 1 0 d
IT'Jf«. Thomas Powell (rent) Alrashouse 2 О О
1710. Hannah Thompson (rent charge) poor 2 10 l>
Total...... £618 5 (i

BarringtoH Plnce is a hamlet in Gateshead parish, situated about threefourths of a mile south of Tyne Bridge.
Bensham is also a hamlet in the same parish, one-and-a-half mile south-west of GiitcsheaJ. Here is a chapel of ease, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, which л\;:erected in 1H44, and is attended by the ck4rgymen of the mother church, h is situated at the angle formed by the road leading down to Benshatn, with the Ilexham turnpike road. In connection with this church a school has be :i erected, culled Lady Vernou's School, which is under the patrouage of tb rector of the parish, and conducted by Charles and Elizabeth Wood. There is a Wesley au Methodist Chapel at Low Bensham, arid one belonging to die Wesleyan New Connexion at Mount Pleasant. Here is also a Lunatic Asylum, which is handsomely situated on the south side of the "Windmill Hills. Paul Glenton, surgeen.
Tcains is another hamlet in this parish, situated about two miles west of Gateshead, and contains a chapel belonging to the Wesleyan Methodist Ím vCoiinexiou.


I'ost Office, Gatf.sheab: M.Douglas, postmaster.—Letters arrive from London, n'.l parts of the south, liristol, Birmingham, Derby, York, Hull, Liverpool, Manchester, Hex ham, Carlisle, Sunilerlund, North nnd South Shields, all Scotland and Ireland, at 7 o.ra.: from London nnd the south, Simderland, South Shields, Carlisle, Newcastle, and local posb. at 5 !10 p.m. ; from Scotland and the north at 7 45 p.m.

Letters are despatched to Lomlon, York, Birmingham, Bristol, Manchester, Liverpool, Ireland, Scotland, and all parts at (i 15 p.m. ; to London and the south, Edinburgh, Btr wick and the north, Newcastle, Sunderland, North and South Shields, and Hexbam atl ' p.m.; to Sundcrlnml at 13 noon ; to Edinburgh, Berwick, and the north at 4 15 p.m. ; to Carlisle and Hexham, 12 45 noon; Newcastle and North Shields, 12 30 noon; Carlisle, 330 p.m.; Hexbam, 0 15 p.m.; Newcastle and North Shields, 4 15p.m.; Suuderhn.i and South Shields, 3 30 p.m. ; Haydon Bridge, Brnrapton, <tc., 10 p.m. ; Shotley Bridge, LeaJgatc, Berry Edge, ¿c., 7 30 a.m. ; Holdon, Fellinp, Heworth, and Jarrow, 7 30p.m.; local posts 0 30 a.m.; Blaydon, Wylam, Prudhoe, and Stocksfield 9 30 a.m. Orders nre issued and paid from 9 a.m. to 4 40 p.m.
Abbot John (J. Abbot & Co.), ho. 2

Ellison place, Newcastle Abbot John <fc Co. iron & brassfounders,
South Shore Abbot John George (J. Abbot & Co.), ho.
2 Ellison place, Newcastle Allan Hannah, prov. dealer, Pipewellgate Allan Nicholas, prov. dealer, Graharnsley st Alllmsen C. k Co. soap & alkali manfactu
гсгэ. Mount Greenwich Allhusen Christian (C. Alhusen & Co.),
ho. Elswick Hall, Newcastle Allison Richard, üíiteshead statioumaster;
ho. Grosvenor st Andei-son and Miller, hat manufacturers,

Bridge s t
Anderson John, 17 Molendine terrace
Anderson Robert, hat manufacturer
I Anderson and Miller); ho. 11 Bloom-
field terrace
Anderson Rev. Thos. Knoz (Presbyterian),

Borough field
Andrews Nicholas (N. Andrews &Son), ho.

0 High West, st Andrews Nicholas £ Son, ironmongers, Jkc.

Wunderland road end
Andrews Thomas, nail fcut and wrought) manufacturer, North of England Nail Works ; ho. 5 Hardwicke terrace Apcdaile Thomas H. (Kell and Apeduile),
ho. Haydon Bridge
Armstrong John, railway engineer, Hutt st Arnott James, clerk of County Court, Town
Hall ; ho. 3 Union row Aspdin, Ord, and Co. manufacturers of patent Portland cement, Blackwall and London A spdin William (Apsdin, Ord, Jk Co.),
ho. Strawberry place, Newcastle Atkinson Geo. Thompson, dyer, 41 Church
st ; ho. Ü Albert terrace, Newcastle Atkinson John, agent, 47 Melbourne st Atkinson Mrs. Margaret, Cramer dykes Atkinson Rev. William, incumbent of St.
John's, Sheriff Hill Alley Mr. Thomas, Cramer dykes Ayre Mrs. Margaret, seminary, 1 Union pi Bainbridge Mr. Thomas, Low Bensham Barkus Benjamin, M.D. and surgeon, 2

High Weitet
Barkus William, viewer, Low Fell larras John (J. Barras ¿с Co.), bo.
Barras John A: Co. brewers, 204 High st "anas John D. painter, Low Fell Barrett Joseph, tobacconist, 0 Bridge st;
bo. Trafalgar st. Newcastle Bell John, land surveyor, High st •wll Joseph, chemist, 45 Bottle bank ; ho.
liailway st. Newcastle »ell Mis» Margaret, 31 Eavensworth ter
Bell Robert, vict. Croît Keyt Inn, 35

Bridge st
Bell Thomas, land surveyor, Low Fell
Bennett Mrs. Aan, Romulus ten-ace
Bennett Eliza, teacher, Romulus terrace
Bennett Francis, surgeon, 136 High st
Bennett Rev. William, chaplain of King
James's Hospital, and master of Anchor-
age School ; ho. Brunswick st
Bertram Mrs. Mary, 17 High West st
Bewick Miss Jane, 18 West st
Birltson William, foreman at Abbott's,

Birtley John, builder, 9 William st Blagburn John, butcher and watchmaker,
I'JO High st ; ho. Cross st Blair John, tailor, Nelson st Blakey John, bootmaker, 13 Bottle bank,
and Newcastle
Blech Mr. H. F. 4 Bloom field terrace Blenkinsop John, grocer, 5 Bridge st Boggon Isabella, vict. Moattlert' Arms Inn,
Low Fell Bolam Charles, joiner & builder, East st ;
ho. Victoria st Bone Jameson, hosier, 223 High st; ho.
West Clayton st. Newcastle Bourn Miss Ann, 5 H ardwirke terrace Boyd George, currier, Ac. S7 West st Brady Henry, surgeon, 203 Higli st Brady William, beerhouse, Salt Meadows Bramwell John, tobacconist, 218 High st Brecknell William Henry, auctioneer and provision dealer, 3 Pipewellgate ; ho. Id Ellison st Brett John Frederick, tailor and draper, 22
Church st Brewis John, vict. William the Fourth,

High street

Brice Samuel W. 31 Bottle bank
Brice William, R.N. Fife st
Bridge Thomas, glass manufacturer, Pipe-
Bridón William, \\ct.Beehive Inn, Low Fell
Briggs George, solicitor, Ocean terrace
Briggs Mrs. Margaret, 4 Jackson st
Brinton Charles, vict. Galenliead Arms Inn,
Low Fell Brinton George (and stabling), vict. Black

Bull Inn, 15 High st

Bröckelt Wm. Henry, clerk, Catharine ter
Brown James, agent, Brunswick st
Brown Josiah, cartwright & smith, Brand-
ling street ; ho. Oakwellgatc
Brown Robert Skinner, butcher, 1 Church

street ; ho. Garden court Brown Thos. cabinet maker, 8 Grosvenor st Brown William, iron and brass founder

(J. Abbot ¿- Co.), ho. 4 Walker terrace Bruce Edward, builder, Ship-yard; ho. 10 Mulgrave terrace

Browne J. W. solicitor, Tlonsliam

Bryson Thomas, provision dealer, Liddell

terrace Bulcraig Thomas, copine builder A- smith,

Hillgate; bo. 10 Claremont place Bullock Henry, smiili, Old Tollbar ; bo.

Fenwick terrace

Bnlmer Charles, Esq. Saltwell Hall Burden Josiah, naptha dealer, 82 Church st Burnett Jacob (T. Burnett ani} Sons) ; ho.

Kast parade, Newcastle Burnett John (T. Burnett it Sons), ho.

Dnnston Burnett Jonathan (T. Burnett <t Sons),

ho. Rye Hill, Newcastle Burnett Thomas, (T. Burnett and Sons),

ho. Elswick Dean Villa, Newcastle Burnett Thomas & Sons, chemical manufacturers, Bill Quay, and at Dunston ; office Side, Newcastle Burnup John and William, tile and brick manufacturers,Teams, and at Clayton st Newcastle

Buslmell Mr. John, Low Fell
Cail Septimus, optician, Claremont place
Cameron John, clerk, Oakwellgate
Cameron Moses, 30 Melbourne st
Caiiillish Win. beerhouse, Mulgrave 1er
Carliilf .Гите» Miller, Tyne Steam Mill;

ho. 8 King William st Cart John Roddam, LL.D. Carr villa

Carr's Hill Carr Thomas, vict. Flying Horte Inn,


Carrott David, vict. Ship Inn, 73 High st Charlton Edward, master mariner, 33

Ellison st Chicken Thomas, mast and block maker,

Hillgate ami Quay ; ho. Grosvenor st Clark Frederick, draper, 31 Bridge st; ho.

4 John's place

Clnrk Mr. John, Bensham terrace
Clark John, joiner and cartwriglit, Low Fell
Clark John, vict. Royal Oal; Inn, Oak-


Clark Hobert, farmer, Redheugh ; ho. Crawcrook Clarke William, coal merchant, Half Moon

lane; ho. 1 Elysium place Clayton William, agent, 3 Sedgewick place Clement Robert, druggist, Low Fell Clementson George, smith, Hilante Clephan James, editor " Gateshcud Observer," 0 Catharine terrace Clephan Joseph, agent, fl Catherine terrace Clifford Jane, teacher Gatesliead National

School, 40 Ellison st Colling Miss Jane, Jackson st Colman John, chemist, 7 Bridge st; ho. 8

Waterloo terrace Conolly John, vict. Сгон Keyi Inn, ripe


Cook Jas. Afatont' Arm» Inn, 2 Jackson st Cook Margaret, beer retail or, Quarry field

Cook Wm. vict. Plat TteUlnn, 29 Brite -i
Cooke Richard, librarian Mechanics' Insti-
tution, West st
Cooke Rev. Robert (Weslejan), IG

Ellison st
Cookson, Cuthbert,& Со.ссЛоиг manufar.r.-

rers, New Chatham Coulthard \frs. Elizabeth, Villa place Cnnllhard Georgo (11. Coulthard and C".X

ho. West st Conlthard Ralph (R.Coulthard Jt Co.).!.'.

1'eareth place Coulthard Robert (R. Coulthard * Co.!.

ho. 2 Nelson st Coulthard Robert ifc Co. engineers, Quarrr

Field Iron Works, Quarry field Conlthard William ¡(R. Coulthard ¿- Co,.

ho. Jesmond Cox George Richard, cashier at Hawks í

Crnwshay's, 4 High West st Craster Thomas, house surgeon Dispensan

West st

Crawford John, commisn. agent, Jackson «t Crawshay Edmund (Hawks, Crawshay, A

Sons), ho. Benslium Crawshay George (Hawks, Crawshay, 4'

Sons), ho. London Crawshay George,.¡un. (Hawks, Crawshij,

& Sons), ho. Tuicmouth Crow liiilpli, smith, Brandling st; 1m. Oil:

wellgate Daggett William, solicitor, в Catherine

terrace Dalkin Margaret, hosier, Bottle bank; bo.

31 Ellison st Davidson John, flour mills; ho. 8 \Valli«

terrace Davidson Peter, manager CommercialB»nfe

ho. la Catherine terrace Davies Rev. John, D.D. rector of GatesheaJ,

Rectory, Bensham Davis Robert, surgeon, Wrekenton Debeuham Alfred, grocer, 4 Bridge st ; ho.

Airey teiTace, Bensham Dinning George, Mouldert' Arms I»',

Oakwellgate Dixon Charles, draper, Bottle bank; ho. 13

West st

Dixon George, ropomalcer, Teams
Dixon George Seymour, M.D. surgen, U

West st
Dobinson Joseph, vict. Old Cannon In», k

painter, Sheriff Hill Dobson & Thompson, boat build«4.

Soutli Shore

Dobson John, vict. Barge Inn, Hillgate Dobson John (Dobson & Thompson), bo.


D.idd Mrs. Elizabeth, 0 Bloomfield tcrr.i •:
Douglas M. postmaster, Half Moon lane
Douglas Margaret,vicb Borough Ana Ii*>

Windmill Hills

Dnuglns William, horse dealer, 185 Higl- -: I Douglass Johu, agent, Hutt terrace

ann Henry, grocer, 34 Bottle bank ; ho. Í) BloomfielJ terrace inn Martin, jun. builder, Church walk ; bo. Bloomfield terrace ann Michael, farmer, Wrckcnlon leii Johu, vict. William I}'. Inn, 130 High st

Iward John, grocer & tailor, Sheriff Hill ¡liott Alexander (Л. Elliott * Си.), ho. Carr's Hill

Iliott Alexander & Co. glass manufacturers, Carr's Hill

Iliott Ann, vict. Neptuni Tätern, Salt Meadows

Iliott George, plumber and brassfounder, :>4 HigK street; ho. 2 Forth banks,


lirbairn William A. agent, 3 Woodbine terrace

ivell John M. coroner for northern division of Durham, Eighton Cottage, Wrekenton awcett John, chemist, 40 High st; ho.

Catherine terrace awdon Elizabeth (E. Fawdon * Sons),

ho, 02 Pipewellgate

awdon Elizabeth & Sons, whiting manufacturers, 02 Pipewellgate awdon George (E. Fawdon Jt Sons), ho.

C2 Pipewellgate awdon Robert (E. Fawdon & Sons), ho.

02 Pipewellgate 'awdon William, pipe manufacturer, 82

['ipewellgate ; ho. High st 'edden George Henry, agent, Windmill

Hills . 'eltoe John Francis, supervisor of inland

revenue, 3 Hardwicko terrace 'enwick Joseph, teacher, Academy, 12

Bloomfteld terrace 'erguson George, thairn manufacturer,

Kabbit banks

'erry Susan, seminary, Union row чппеу Samuel & Co. nurserymen, High st "ittes John (R. Fittes & Co.), ho. Elewick

terrace, Newcastle Titles Robert (R. Fittes & Co.), ho.

Seymour terrace Mttes Robert & Co. grocers, 10 Highst.

and Groat Market, Newcastle Fletcher Edward, superintendent of locomotives on Y. N. and B. Railway ; ho.

Greensfield House foreman Robert, superintendent registrar

of Gateshoad Union ; ho. 4 Woodbine pi Forrest William, agent to North of England

Bank, Cromwell st Fc.rster Christopher G. vict. Alla» Inn,

High st

Forster Edward, beerhouse, Salt Meadows Förster Mrs. Hannah, 10 Ravensworlh ter Freeman Jas. toll collector, Windmill Hills bveiimn Ralph, flnur denier, Windmill Hill»

French John, agent. The Crescent
Fulthorp George, manager, Teams
Gaddy it Lamb, shipbuilders, Tyne Main
Gadily David (Gaddy & Lamb), ho. Clare-

mont place Garhutt Cornelius Durham, chemist and

spirit merchant, 28, ,40, and 3'J Bridge st GibbonMrs. Maria, Windmill Hills Gibben Willinm, miller, St. Cnthbert:s pi Gibbons William, clerk, 22 Grosvenor st Gibson Emerson, agent, Hutt st Gibson Joseph, provision dir. 171 High st Gilliespie Henry, vict. Rising Sun Inn,


Gilhespy Ralph, oyster denier, Pipewellgate Gill Robert, brazier, 32 High st. and North

Shore, Newcastle Gillespie Henry, vict. Cnck and Anchor,

Cannon st

Glaholm Mrs. F.liza, 14 Mnlgrave ten-ace
Glemliuning Henry, vict. High Level
t Bridye Inn, Half Moon lane
Glenton Frederick, proprietor of Lunatic.

Asylum, Benslmm ; bo. 13 Mulgrave ter
Glenton Mrs. Mary, Bcnsham
Glenton Paul, surgeon Benshnm Lunatic

Asylum ; ho. 13 Mulgrave terrace Goliglitly John, 3 Grosvenor st Goodall Alfred, cashier Branch Bank of

England; ho. Woodbine Cottage Goodfellow John, vict. Albion Inn, 150

High st Gordon James, manager Tyne Asphalte

Company, &c. ; ho. Leazes' terrace,

Newcastle Gowland <t Smiles, proprietors of Lunatic

Asylum, Wrekenton

Gowland Harriet,vict Ship Inn, Wrekenton Gray Ellen, vict. Union Tavern, Pipe


Gray John, vict. Frame Inn, Teams
Gray Joseph, agent Y. N. and B. Railway ;

ho. 2 St. Cuthbert's terrace Greene George, tanner, Half Moon lane ;

ho. Prospect Cottage, Windmill Hills Greene John (J. Greene & Sons), ho.

Rodsley House Greene John <fc Sons, grocers, itc. 7, 9, and

11 High st Greene Joshua (J. Greene & Sons), ho. 4

High st Greene Joshua, jun. (J. Greene & Sons),

ho. 7 Woodbine place Greene Michael (J. Greene & Sons), ho.

2.1 West st Greenwell Willinm Crozier, chemist, 11H

High st ; ho. Ellison st Grey John, cartwright, High st Hnggie Brothers, rope it chain manufacturers and timber merchants. South Shore Haggie David (Haggie Brothers), ho.

Claremont Honse Haggle Peter (Haggle Brothers), to.

West st

Hall George, pawnbroker, 37 High st
Hall Miss Theodosia, 15 Claremont place
Hall Mr. Thomas, Collmgwood terrace
Halliday Thomas, commission agent,

Nelson st
Hanson William, wheelwright, Powell's

court; ho. 191 High st Harfurd George (Milrain & Harford), ho.

10 Regent terrace

] larris John, draper, IS Melbourne st Harris Thomas, viet. Vulcan Tavern,

Quarry field

Harrison John, builder, 28 Charles st Harrison John, basketmaker, 31 High st Harrison Martha (Osborne & Harrison),

ho. Windmill Hill Harvey William, grocer and stationer, 140

High st ; ho. 1 Westgate Hill terrace,


Hawks, Crawshay, & Sons, iron manufacturers, South Shore Hawks George {Hawks, Crawshay,JtSons),

ho. lledheugh

Hawortb Henry, surveyor of taxes, Westst Hedley Edward H. agent, M Melbourne st Hedley Mr. George, 0 Walker terrace Hedley Joseph, printer, 23, and provision

dealer, 51 High st Hedley William, saddler, 55 High st Henderson Bartholomew, engineer , ho.

Salt Meadows, South Shore Henderson Charles Douglas, surgeon, 31

Melbourne st

Henderson George, clerk, High st Henderson J. \iul.0ak Tree /nit,Wrekenton Heppell G. ironfounder; ho. Mount pleasant Heppell Mr. Joseph, Low Benshara Heppell Robert, ironfounder, Pipewellgale;

ho. Mount pleasant Heppell William, ironfounder ; ho. Mouut


Herbert Rev. Samuel Asher, curate of Gates-
head ; ho. 0 Woodbine place
Heron George, foreman, Teams
Hetherington Isaac, cheese factor, High st
Hethermgton R. bookbinder, Low Fell
Hetherington Robert, parish clerk, teacher

of National School, and bookbinder,

Sheriff Hill Hewitt James, furniture broker, 45 High

st ; ho. 1Й9 High st

Hildreth John, flour dealer, Wrekenton Hindmnrch James, vict. Ellison Arms, 151

High st Hindmarch Jane, vict. Windmill Inn, 4

Charles st

Hindmarch Joseph, teacher, Wrekenton Hobson Mr. Michael, Russell terrace Hockin Bartholomew, foreman, 133 Pleasant row

Hogg Robert, beer retailer, Blackwall Hood Anthony & Co. timber merchants,

Blackwall ; office, Broad chare, Quay,


Hogg Thomas, vict. Edinburgh CatiU In.

•Il Bottle bank Holmes Henrv, vict. Deptford Hoiae Ir. •


Hood James, ropemaker, High st
Hope John, police inspector, Bridge st
Hopper John, miller, Trinity st ; ho. 10'J.'.

103 High st Hopper Joseph, vict Jk brewer, ОоАнл-ИрЛ

Inn, Oakwellgate Hopper William, shipscrew manufaotnr.-:,

foot of Hillgate ; ho. 3 Melbourne st Howe John Allgood,pawnbroker, 191 High

si ; ho. 4 Barrington place Howie William, furniture broker, 435


Hudson Mr. James, Barrington Villa Hume Jos. post office clerk, 8 Kaslon court Hunter Andiew, quarryman, Wrekenton Hunter Collingwood, vict. Joineit' ¿reu

Inn, Wrekenton Hunter George, coal merchant, Elmpark

and Charlaw ; coal depots Halí Moco

lane, Oakwellgate, and High st ; Ь\

Milfield terrace Hunter John, solicitor, 3 Bridge st; ho.31

Bloomfiekl terrace

Hunter John, agent, 4 Cotiield terrace Hunter Samuel, agent, 13 Ravensworth


Hunter Samuel, smith, High st
Hunter William, vict. The Sica« lu,

Park st

Husband Anna, 30 Melbourne st Hutchinson Мигу, teacher, Peareth plsoe Hutchiuson William, grocer, 19 Hijh Я:

ho. Peareth place Hymers Jos. Abbot, ironfounder and ÜB«

burner, Hymers' court ; ho. R\ton Hymers Mr. William, 2 Walker terme Idle Benjamin, cheesemonger, 57 High st Iklerton John, vict. Goat Inn, 39 Boltle l'k Ingrnham James, medicine vendor, Wre

keuton, lonn Frederick Peter, draper, 42 High st

and 1 Hill st Irvine & Co. mustard manufacturers, Oik

wellgate Irwin Surtees, manager Newcastle and

Carlisle Railway Station, Redheugh ; ho.

Melbourne st

Jackson Mr. Henry, 8 Bloomfield terrtt* Jackson John, draper, 1 Bridge st Jackson Robert,printer, 31 Bottle ЪапЬЬ1

14 Grosvenor st Janson Charles (Mounsoy, Janson, S Co.

and S. Finney & Co.), ha Shotlç

Johnson Mrs. Patience, Cramer

Johnson Thomas, currier, 3 Bottle l!3o

ho. Grosvenor st
Jollie William, M.D. and surgeoa, '

High st

Joicey George, ironfounder, 24 West st
.( ordan John, agent, Wimlmill Hill
Kell Л Apedaile, solicitors, Town Hall
Kell joseph, agent, 11 Ravensworth terrace
Kell William (Kell and Apedaile), town-
clerk ; ho. 35 West st
Kelly Robert, leather seller, 7 7 High st
Kentlal John H. chemist, 95 High st; ho.

Carr's Hill KciidalMaUhew,earthenware manufacturer,

Carr's Hill

Kenmir George Johnson, solicitor, townr-lerk, clerk to the borough-holders and freemen of Gateshead, Wellington st ; ho. Carr's Hill House Kent Snmuel, Beacon Lough Farm, and proprietor of Ualeshead Fell Lunatic Asylum

Ketch Benjamin, Turk's Headlnn, High st Kimpster William J. (Wilson & Kimpster),

33 West st Kirkly Stephen, farmer, Green \ ilhi,

Sheriff Hill Laidler William, commission agent, 3

Cotfield terrace

Lamb John, borough surveyor, Town Hall Lamb Lewis (Gaddy & Lamb), ho, Tyne


Lemmas James, surgeon, 3 Woodbine place
Lane Samuel, teacher of Gateshead Na-
tional School, 40 Kllison st
Latimer Thomas Alexander, agent, 4

•Huit et
Lawrence Joseph, vict. Wheat Sheaf Inn,

73 High st Lawson George, vict. Coach if Horses Inn,

70 High st. it smith, Dun Cow yard Lawson Mr. Thomas, 34 Ellison st Lentell John, Fife st. Mount pleasant Liddell Catharine, smith, Low Fell Lili Mrs. Klizahclh,13 Ellison s: Lister Mrs. Jane, 0 Melbourne 8t Lisler John, builder, Park st ; ho. Milfleld


Lister Matthew, sand miller, Sheriff Hill Little George, collector of taxes, б

Union row

LongstnOe Wm. H.rlton, clerk, Bensham Losli AVilliam (W. Losh & Co.), ho.


Ludlovr Miss Dorothy, 41 West st
Lumley Joseph, grocer, Jfcc. High st
Lumsden Wm. provision dealer, Bottle bnk
M'Donald William, vict. Free Gardeners'

Arms, Carr's Hill
Main 1'eter James, Half Moon Inn, 34

High st

Marshall Agnes, teacher, 3 Fenwick terrace
Masterson George Mitchell, actuary at
Newcastle Savings Bank; ho. Woodbine

Mather & Reed, ironmongers, 2 Bottle bnk
Mather George (Mather i Reed), ho.
Regent st

Mather Martha & Annabella, milliners, 39

Bottle bauk; ho. 109 Blenheim et.


Mather Robert, upholsterer, 190 High st Maughan George, grocer, &c. and butcher,

52 Melbourne st Maughan Joseph Heppell, watchmaker, 41

Bottle bank ; ho. 43 Melbourne st M'Nally James, vict. Union Inn, & tailor,

Hillgato M'Innes James, lamp black and vitriol

manufacturer, Pipewellgate M'Intire James, vict. Ellison Arms Inn,

Rabbit banks

Micldleton Michael, agent, Collingwood ter Miller Ann, provision dealer, Wrekenton Miller George (Anderson & Miller), ho. 18

Bloomfield ten-ace

Miller William, tinsmith, Oakwellgate
Milvain & Herford, sail cloth manufactu-
rers, Quarry field
Milvain Henry (Milvain & Ilarford), ho.

North Elswick Hall
Mitchell William, vict. White Bear Inn,

Salt Meadows

Moffitt Joseph, agent, Mount pleasant Monkhouse William, vict. Brandling Armt

Inn, Oakwellgate

Monro Henry L. chemist, 20 High st
Moody R. E. agent, Hull st
Moore P., U.M. customs, 9 Claremont pi
Morris Mrs. Margaret, 14 Melbourne st
Morton Mr. Ralph, The Crescent
Mounsey, Janson, & Co. iron merchants,

South Shore, and Newcastle
Murray John C. surgeon, 147 High st
Murray Martha, Queen's Head Inn, 10

High st Murtón Henry, agent Guita Percha Depot,

30 Grey st. Newcastle; ho. 14 Claremont place

Muschamp John (Tyne Paper Mill Company), ho. Londou Muschamp William, (Tyne Paper Mill

Company,), ho. Windmill Hills Naylor Mr. George, 0 Woodbine terrace Neilson F.dward, vict. Queen Inn, Low Fell Neilson Thomas, auctioneer and appraiser,

Bridge end ; ho. Ellison st Neilson Thomas, coal merchant, Half

Moon lane ; ho. Low Fell Neville Samuel (S. Neville & Co.), ho. 129

High st Neville Samueli-Co. Ellison Glass Works,

East st Newftll R. S.ifcCo. wire rope manufacturéis.

Teams Newall Robert S. (R. S. Newall * Co.), ho.


Nicholson Mrs. Ann, 15 Claremont pisca Nicholson Cuthbert, Oakwellgate ; ho. 39

Melbourne st Nixon John (J. Nixon & Son), ho. St.

John's lane